How it began……
This bedroom is occupied by two young girls, it is used for sleeping, playing, clothes storage and too many toys…… mostly cuddly ones.
I discussed with the client the desire she was heading towards, what she didn’t like and what wasn’t working.
What did they want to use the room for?
Was anything broken that needed fixing?
Did she want a new colour scheme? What was their dream out come?
Yes we spoke about what they didn’t like, but they also pointed out things they DID like, this was important too.
After our consultation I was set to work on how I was going to achieve everything my client wanted.
Aim of the objective
The biggest change I had to make was to allow room for a new arrival of a baby, giving it space for a cot, changing area and clothes storage. This meant moving furniture and reducing the amount of toys in the room.
We needed to use existing furniture more efficiently and purchase new items for what we had left. I wanted to add hooks, shelves and a book-case for reading material and DVDs that we’re becoming damaged in their current home.
With the use of measurements I could rearrange the furniture and give everything a clean as I go………… I got stuck in.
After taking measurements I rearranged the furniture and disposed of unwanted toys to family members and charities. There was a large unit within the room that although was big did not serve any purpose to us, that was dismantled and thrown away.
The baby already had a cot waiting
but with nothing else I went searching for inspiration and managed to purchase a second-hand John Lewis changing unit from http://www.gumtree.com and with a bowl of soapy water i cleaned it up like new.
I added pink baskets for nappies, socks, bibs etc. My handy man put up a shelf unit which was ideal for blankets and baby clothes. The baby now had their own area of the room.
The girls had a wardrobe each which I placed beside their beds, added coat hangers , hooks and baskets inside to make full use of the space.
Buying a bookcase locally from http://www.ebay.co.uk I was able to paint the piece to match the colour scheme and was perfect for storing books, DVDs and even a lamp stand giving them the new opportunity of a reading area.
For the remaining toys , under bed storage on wheels and large plastic boxes were used to store them neatly in organised categories.
This project was completed in 8 hours and a few additional hours were spent outside of the house picking up new furniture, accessories and delivering unwanted items to the charity shop.
Pink ,white and Hello Kitty was the theme in this room and we wanted to keep it that way, so I gave it a fresh look with new linen, hung up frames and a clock that had been getting dusty in the corner. A rug was placed on the uncarpeted floor to add warmth.
With the curtains being so dark it made the room feel smaller so with some simple matching tie backs I pulled them open and decorated the window sill with precious ornaments.
I Finally I placed a cuddly toy on the girls pillow to welcome them into their new room. When revealed to the family I explained how to keep it tidy and this gave the girls an understanding that a baby was on its way.
This page is dedicated to our beautiful precious Violet Louise Norris.